Monday, October 8, 2007

#50 -- "You're Beautiful" -- James Blunt

Year: 2005
Chart Position: #1
Last year's Worst Songs position: did not chart

Ex-British soldier Blunt recorded this #1 international smash under the supervision of Linda Perry. You know Linda -- she's the singer in 4 Non Blondes. You know 4 Non Blondes -- they're that group that did that screechy "Hey-yeah-yeah-yeah-I-said-hey-what's-going-on" song in the 90s. (For the record, it's called "What's Up" -- and I think we'll be covering it somewhere on this countdown.) So it's no surprise that "You're Beautiful" is simple-minded, repetitive and ultimately annoying -- so annoying that The Sun in the UK just named it the most annoying song of all time. Hard to disagree.

Fun Fact: The Sun also reports that "You're Beautiful" has become the most popular wedding song in the UK. Yeah -- nothing's more romantic than this lyric:

Yeah, she caught my eye
As we walked on by
She could see from my face I was fucking high.

Perfect wedding song -- if your groom-to-be is an ex-junkie you met while he was panhandling outside your store. Spare change? Cigarette? Hand in marriage?

1 comment:

sarainitaly said...

Man, you people are tough. I love this song. Maybe I have no taste in music. haha NAH impossible, because I LOVE the Dudley Manlove Quartet... I must have a little bit of good taste. :O)