Tuesday, October 16, 2007

#40 -- "Honky Tonk Badonkadonk" -- Trace Adkins

Year: 2005
Chart Position: #30
Last year's Worst Songs position: unranked

Sometimes I feel truly blessed -- this year, I don't have to sing "Afternoon Delight," I don't have to write about "Kokomo" and -- thank you -- I only have to reference the term "badonkadonk" in this entry. Such a gift.

For those readers unfamiliar, the term “badonkadonk” (I hate typing it as much as you hate reading it) is an onomatopoetic reference to the movement of a lady’s ample rear end while walking or dancing. Adkins, a top Country artist, broke into mainstream pop radio by co-opting the hip-hop term for his first and only crossover hit. Sample lyric: “We hate to see her go/but we love to watch her leave/with that honky tonk badonkadonk/keepin’ perfect rhythm/make ya wanna swing along/like Donkey Kong.”

Fun Fact: a former oil rig worker, Adkins is missing part of a finger. OK, maybe that's not really "fun"...

No comments: