Tuesday, October 9, 2007

#49 - "Honey" -- Bobby Golsdboro

Year: 1968
Chart Position: #1
Last year's Worst Songs position: did not chart

This year's chart started with some sap and from the looks of it the sap keeps flowing like "Honey," a song about a man remembering his dead wife. However, his recollections lead the listener to believe that 'Honey" may have been a little...er...slow:

She was always young at heart
Kinda dumb and kinda smart
And I loved her so

"Kinda dumb?" I don't care if she passed away or not -- I know women who would come back to life just to slap you for calling them "kinda dumb." Zombie slapped! I supposed our protagonist thought tacking on "and I loved her so" at the end of calling her a moron would help smooth things out.

And that's how the song goes -- the girl does silly stuff -- crashes a car, plants a tree, chokes a puppy (I'm not sure about that last one) -- and the boy responds first dismissively ("what the heck") and then with some sort of remorse ("Honey I miss you.") There's a bipolar thing going on that's more than a little creepy.

Goldsboro had a string of similar pop hits ("Watching Scotty Grow" and the quizzically-titled "Me Japanese Boy I Love You") before crossing over to the country charts. He's semi-retired now -- although next year you can check out the "Art of Bobby Goldsboro" in Orlando.


Fun Fact: “Honey” was written by Bobby Russell, a country songwriting legend whose other songs include “He Ain’t Heavy – He’s My Brother” and “The Nights Went Out in Georgia” – the latter for his then-wife Vicki Lawrence.

1 comment:

Jenn from WA said...

Fun but unnecessary fact. Thank you for finally explaining what happens to Honey. In college I taped the song on one of those cassette thingys and it cut off before the end of the song. We joked that we never knew what happened to Honey. Now we know.

okay then. Back to drinking.